GREAT BRADFORDS JUNIOR SCHOOL GOVERNING BODY
Finance, Premises & General Resources Committee
Terms of Reference
The Finance Premises & General Resources Committee will have powers of decision delegated, which are defined in the Terms of Reference below:
The Committee shall consist of a minimum of 5 members of the Governing Body in addition to the Headteacher. The Chair will be elected by the Committee at the first committee meeting of the Autumn Term. Subject to Governing Body approval, it is possible to appoint a committee member, who is not a governor. However, non-governor committee members may not vote on any decision concerning admissions, pupil discipline, election or appointment of governors, the budget and financial commitments of the Governing Body.
A quorum shall be a minimum of 3 plus the Headteacher.
The Committee shall meet as necessary, but not less than once a term. All meetings will be convened by the Clerk. Other than in exceptional circumstances, all committee members must receive seven clear days written notice of meetings together with an agenda. If an urgent decision has to be made, the Clerk will try to convene an emergency meeting. Where this is not possible and an urgent decision has to be taken by Head/Chair of Committee, the Clerk will inform governors of that decision as soon as possible.
Terms of Reference
1. The Committee is responsible for reviewing and monitoring finance and resource related policies and procedures identified within Governing Body’s “Policies/Procedures” document (after consideration of Local Authority recommended procedures).
2. To receive and approve the annual Budget Plan. (A copy of the agreed Budget Plan to be signed by the Chair of Finance, Premises & General Resources Committee and sent to LA by 1st May).
3. The Committee will receive priorities for development from committees for inclusion in the budget. (For full details of the process, please refer to the attached year plan “Scheduling the Budget – Planning, Monitoring and Review”, which is included within the approved “Financial Regulations and Scheme of Delegation”). Within the planning and review process, the committee will take responsibility for consulting with stakeholders, e.g. staff and pupils.
4. To receive exception/budget movement reports from the Finance Manager.
5. To monitor developments secured in annual Budget Plan
6. To receive “Internal Controls Evaluation” reports from County Officer.
7. To annually target specific projects/initiatives reference “value for money”. The Finance Manager to provide reports and information as required.
8. In order to secure statutory requirements, the Committee will be responsible for regular review and monitoring of designated sections within SDP.
9. In order to secure continual review, of the school’s Accessibility Plan and Disability Equality Scheme, a generic agenda item to be included reference monitoring relevant sections of the school’s Accessibility Plan and Disability Equality Scheme.
10. To inspect the buildings termly, with reference to agreed areas within the Premises Development Plan, i.e. Structural Maintenance work, Service contracts, Health & Safety, Decoration and Furnishing, Building Projects and Playground/Environment Projects. If appropriate to inform the L.E.A. of the work required which is their responsibility.
11. The Committee will support and guide the full Governing Body in prioritising premises developments for inclusion in the budget. (For full details of the process, please refer to the attached year plan “Scheduling the Budget – Planning, Monitoring and Review”, which is included within the approved “Financial Regulations and Scheme of Delegation”). Within the planning and review process, the committee will take responsibility for consulting with stakeholders, e.g. pupils, staff.
12. The Committee will be responsible for monitoring the Premises Development Plan and Accessibility Development Plan. As part of the monitoring process, written and verbal reports from governors will be received at each committee meeting, with evaluation taking place as appropriate.
13. When approval is given by the full Governing Body for a self-financing building project, which requires Planning Permission or Building Regulations, this will be the responsibility of the Committee.
14. To review annually the effectiveness of contracts, e.g. cleaning, grounds maintenance, catering, to ensure costs are competitive and provide “value for money”.
15. The Committee will take responsibility for Health and Safety issues relating to the buildings and the activities that take place within it them.
16. To develop the use of the school as a facility within the wider community out of school hours, including determining the school’s Lettings Policy and charges.
17. The Committee will be responsible for monitoring the related issues in the School Improvement Plan, including the costs of implementation of new strategies.
As part of the monitoring process, written and verbal reports from governors will be received at each committee meeting, with evaluation taking place as appropriate.
18. Minutes of each Committee meeting will be circulated to all members of the Governing Body.
These powers will be reviewed and agreed annually at the Autumn Term meeting of the Governing Body.
Any difficulty in reaching agreement to be resolved by the full Governing Body.